People often ask me for travel advice, and while I don’t profess to be an expert in many things, I have traveled across the Atlantic more times than I have had birthdays, and I cannot begin to count the number of flights I’ve taken in my lifetime.
If I know about anything, it is about flying. Next Monday, I will be getting on a nearly twelve hour flight to Barbados and I thought I would share what I’m bringing to survive the haul. My ticket is economy and the carrier is a no-frills budget airline, so I will have even fewer than the average amenities on board.
So, what will I wear and what will I bring? Let’s start with my purse.
- Moisturizer, Avene Eau Thermale facial spray, hand cream, facial wipes, mascara and tinted lip balm. I like to make sure I can clean my face, keep myself moisturised and then make myself look presentable on the other side.
- Entertainment! Kindle, MacBook Air, iPhone, noise canceling headphones, and of course, a portable charger. This is pretty self-explanatory.
- Snacks- a nice mix of sweet, savoury, naughty and nice. Plus- tea bags to make comforting, hydrating herbal tea instead of nasty airplane coffee and my favourite secret- a mini bottle or two of some really nice liquor. What can I say? Making a Hendrick’s Gin and Tonic makes me feel civilised while in the insanity of a packed plane.
- Documents, Notebook, Pen, Wallet. Always bring a pen, you will need it.
- Big, soft scarf, cozy socks and sunglasses for when I land.
- Sturdy tote to put it all in!
This is it, all I am bringing. One purse, one carry on and some comfy layers for the plane ride. The shoes slip off quickly in security and he neutral colours are classic and unfussy.